Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Creepy Leprechaun Shirt

I made my girls Valentine outfits, so I told my son I would make him a St. Patrick’s Day shirt.  He decided he wanted a Leprechaun.  So I dug out a picture of a leprechaun and off we went to the fabric store.  I let Mr. T pick out all of the colors for his Leprechaun.  I loved all of his choices except the yellow fabric he picked for the face.  But he talked me into it with this little conversation.  Me- “okay, buddy what color do you want for his skin?”  Mr. T looks around for a while and chooses yellow.  Me- “Don’t you want something more skin color?”  Mr. T  “No, I like yellow.”  Me- “Umm, your leprechaun might look a little weird and creepy.” Mr. T- “That’s ok mom, it’s not like leprechauns are real.”  Me- “Right you are buddy, yellow it is.”

BUT I ALSO WANTED TO SHARE WITH YOU SOMETHING I TRIED THAT WORKED SO AWESOME!!

I’m not an artist in any sense of the word, so I was really concerned with the Leprechauns face.  I wasn’t sure how in the world I could get his face to look good. But as I was using the iron on bonding stuff (the no sew variety), I realized that if made the fabric really stiff and I wondered if I could put that through my printer,( I just got done putting contact paper through my printer with great results so I thought I would give it a try).

The verdict…IT WORKS AWESOME!! This is how I did it.

You’ll need a picture of a leprechaun

002

An assortment of fabric colors and HeatnBond ultrahold iron-on adhesive.

003

017

Follow the package directions for the first step, applying the heat n bond to your fabric.

005

Then cut our your face and place it face down on your copier.  Then feed your material (with heat n bond on it) through your printer.  Make sure that it prints the face on your material and not on the heat n bond.

006008

Continue with the rest of the leprechaun.  I didn’t put all of the pieces through the printer just the ones I wanted more detail on.  Follow the package directions for applying all of the pieces to a shirt.

009015

And there you have a creepy yellow faced leprechaun.  But not that it matter because it’s not like Leprechauns are real…

3 comments:

Chef-Jitsu said...

I love your blog! you are quite crafty!

Quiltstory said...

That turned out darling! What a fun project! Thanks for linking to Quiltstory!

Katherine said...

What a great idea- thanks for sharing this technique! That leprechaun isn't that creepy! Thanks for linking up!